Elected officials can be a chapter's best friend when it comes to finding projects to undertake and the resources to accomplish them. The Governmental Affairs Leadership Seminar (GALS) gives members all the tools they need to understand how government works and how to work it to a chapter's advantage. Participants receive instruction and training on a number of important topics, including:
- understanding how government works
- understanding the role of advocacy and how to do it
- applying the Active Citizen Framework at the chapter level, which is the foundation of all chapter activity
GALS is open to all JCI members.
The GALS portion of the convention will start on Sunday morning where we will participate in trainings and speakers with Nothing But Nets and their partnership summit. We will discuss lobbying not only on the Hill but also at home with in district meetings. We will hear from keynote speakers. We will have breakout sessions on social media/marketing, fundraising and community building. We will end with logistics for the Hill day and fun activity that evening.
Monday is Day on the Hill. We will partner with Nothing But Nets and other partners they have in your area to meet with your Congressmen and Senators to discuss our partnership and other things you feel that are important to your local communities and states. The Hill day will start with buses leaving the hotel at 8 am to head to Capitol Hill. There will be breakfast served on the Hill with an opening address from Kathy Calvin, United Nations Foundation CEO. The visits will go until 2 pm.
- A full registration for the entire seminar is $65, which includes:
- All program materials
- Saturday and Sunday lunches
- Saturday evening social
- Capitol Hill visit
- Ground transportation throughout the seminar
- Registration closes September 20